Sunday 28 August 2011

Interview with Debbie McQuillan, Top Make-up Artist, Principal & Director of Vanity X Make-up Academy, Dublin.





1. What made you decide to set up your own make-up Academy?
From an early age I always wanted to own my own business, it was in my blood. At the beginning it was meant to be a Beauty Salon! But it was always from a business point of view. I decided if i wanted to open a Salon I needed to know first hand what type of service my staff should offer and what clients expected so i enrolled in a Beauty Therapy course with the prestigious Coogin Bergin. It was here I got the taste for studying again and decided to do a make up course initially as a hobbie as I loved everything to do with make up, and was always doing up my pals for nights out. I was a glutten for punishment, working full-time and attending two part-time courses!! But i loved it, it was tough but worth it! After this I set up hobbie make up classes just teaching girls and women of all ages how to apply make up correctly. I realised here iIloved helping/teaching people and sharing my talent. After finishing college and being quite shy i found it extremely difficult to enter into the make up world. I spoke to a lot of girls who felt the same, many had completed courses (course that cost thousands of pounds) but never did anything with their new found talents, all of them agreeing it was mainly due to the lack of support from their esteemed colleges. I wanted to change that, so i did! VanityX Make Up Academy was born  

2. What are your most popular courses?
Our most popular course at the moment is our Part-Time Make Up Artistry Diploma, however our Full Time Ultimate Pro Course commences 27th of September and is slowly taking over!

3. What do you think are the most important characteristcs for a make-up artist to have?
 Obviously you need the skill, but its important to be confident and un afraid. It takes alot of hard work to be apart of this “Industry” and always remember there is room for everyone after all creatively we are all very different!

4. Is it a tough Industry to break into?
It can be but hard work and personality can get you along way.

5. What are you top 5 favourite products?
For personal use my make up is quite simple and you’d be shocked to see how little i have in my make up bag! My favourite mascara is Bad Gal Lash from Benefit, I love my MAC eyebrow pencil in colour stud – definition you get is amazing!. I love FACES Cosmetics sheer glow (its water proof and has an spf) its great on its own or on top of foundation. My favourite foundation is Armani. Oh my secret weapon for my Brides is Bobbi Brown Creme Pot in Cylpso Coral its unbelievable!

6. Do you have a favourite Brand?
Honestly... not really i like a little bit from each brand, my TOP brands would be FACES Cosmetics, MAC, Inglot and Armani. Essence also have some great products and are cheap which is always a bonus.

7. What advice would you give to someone who is interested in a career in Make-up?
Research the college your going to invest your money in, ask to sit in on a class and make sure its the right environment for you. Make sure they tick all the boxes and can offer you with the support you need to progress into the area you desire.

8. If you were on a Desert Island what would be your top 3 "can't live without" make-up products? Mascara, Lip Balm and Blusher

9. Do you think Irish girls wear too much make-up?
I think girls in general are under the illusion the more the better – its a security blanket.

10. What do you offer students that is different to other make-up colleges out there?
 Continued support during and after your course, employment opportunities, real work experience and great value for money.

Thank you Debbie!


http://www.vanityx.ie/

No comments:

Post a Comment